Sammy’s Top Albums of 2014
Top Ten Albums
1. Sharon Van Etten, Are We There
2. Mark Lanegan, Phantom Radio
3. The New Pornographers, Brill Bruisers
4. Gord Downie, The Sadies, and The Conquering Sun, S/T
5. Wussy, Attica!
6. Against Me!, Transgender Dysphoria Blues
7. Jolie Holland, Wine Dark Sea
8. Courtney Barnett, Double EP: Sea of Split Peas
9. Greg Ashley, Another Generation of Slaves
10. Blonde Redhead, Barragán
1. D’Angelo and the Vanguard, Black Messiah
2. The Baseball Project, 3rd
3. Angel Olsen, Burn Your Fire For No Witness
4. The Afghan Whigs, Do To the Beast
5. Black Milk, If There’s a Hell Below
6. Buzzcocks, The Way
7. Chris Forsyth & the Solar Motel Band, Intensity Ghost
8. The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Revelation
9. Warpaint, S/T
10. TV on the Radio, Seeds
11. Restorations, LP3
12. Kid Cudi, Satellite Flight
13. Karen O, Crush Songs
14. Jungle, S/T
15. Interpol, El Pintor
16. Guided By Voices, Motivational Jumpsuit
Top Not-Fully Original Albums
1. Bob Dylan and the Band, The Basement Tapes Complete: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 11
2. Silversun Pickups, The Singles Collection
Top Thirteen Songs
1. Sharon Van Etten, “Every Time the Sun Comes Up” (“I washed your dishes/but I shit in your bathroom”)
2. Gord Downie, The Sadies, and The Conquering Sun, “Crater” (“Getting crushed in our dreams/or in our dreams, doing all the crushing”)
3. Sun Kil Moon, “War On Drugs Can Suck My Cock” (“the whitest band I’ve ever heard”)
4. Cherry Glazerr, “Had Ten Dollaz”
If “Brass in Pocket” were written in 2014, it would be “Had Ten Dollaz.” If Suede in fact exists again, Brett Anderson will cover this.
5. The New Pornographers, “Brill Bruisers”
6. TV on the Radio, “Happy Idiot” (“what you don’t know won’t hurt you, yeah/ignorance is bliss”)
7. Courtney Barnett, “Avant Gardener”
8. Against Me!, “Transgender Dysphoria Blues”
9. Angel Olsen, “Forgiven/Forgotten”
10. Mark Lanegan, “Death Trip to Tulsa”
11. Black Milk, “Scum” (feat. Random Axe) (“sweet cats, I know your life,/bourbon cats, I know your wife”)
12. Jolie Holland, “Saint Dymphna” (“most of my heroes died in the gutter”)
13. The New Pornographers, “Champions of Red Wine”
Burn Your Fire For No Witness was A.V. Club’s Best Album of 2014.
Black Messiah was Pitchfork’s Highest Rated Album of 2014.
Jolie Holland is the love child of Captain Beefheart, Van Morrison, and Janis Joplin.
Greg Ashley is the love child of Leonard Cohen and himself. Literally.
He may also be the love child of Greg Dulli.
El Pintor seems to lack a tilde (either the I or the O), but apparently only Barragán warrants one.